Promoting Students | Building Community | Instilling Pride
Our School’s History
Gallman Elementary School is named after Dr. Ulysses S. Gallman who was born in Newberry, South Carolina in 1885. He was a graduate of South Carolina State College. Dr. Gallman was awarded the degree of Doctor of Pedagogy by Morris College in 1955. In honor of his service to improve education and schools, Gallman High School was named after him. Gallman Elementary School continues to carry his name. The staff and students at GES will strive to continue Dr. Gallman’s legacy by inspiring leadership and service to our world.
Our School Today
Gallman Elementary School is located in the southwest portion of Newberry County and serves approximately 450 students in PreK through 5th grades. We have an excellent faculty and staff who are committed to providing learning opportunities for all students. We have 19 traditional classrooms, 3 Montessori classrooms, and 5 Special Needs classrooms within our school to meet the diverse needs of our students. Our school family consists of 60 instructional and support staff. Students participate weekly in Art, Music, P.E., and Computer classes. Every other week our students participate in Guidance class or they spend time in the Media Center developing their love of reading.
Each day, we accept responsibility of being accountable for our own learning and behavior, setting personal and academic goals, treating others with respect, and working together. We are passionate about discovering, nurturing, and enhancing the leadership skills and abilities in each of our students, teachers, and staff members. Our goal is to prepare our students to be not only college and career ready but productive, contributing members of our society.